Making a Will is the only way you can guarantee that your family, friends and chosen charities receive what you want from your estate. If you don’t make a Will then you have no control over where your Estate goes after your death. Your very special gifts to relatives and charities may be lost if you die without making a Will.
Our promises to you:
- We appreciate that your family and loved ones will always come first.
- We will handle whatever gift you leave to us efficiently and sensitively, so that it can have the maximum impact on the Northern Devon community.
- We will respect your wish to assign a gift to a specific department, ward or service.
- We understand you have the right to change your mind about a gift in your Will at any time.
- We understand that your Will is completely personal to you. You don’t have to tell us your decision – we respect your right to privacy.
- You can visit our hospital and see how your gift will make a difference first hand.
Any gift you decide to leave us, no matter how large or small, will help to safeguard our future and ensure your local NHS can continue providing excellent care around North Devon. It could also reduce the inheritance tax liability on your Estate.
Inheritance Tax is the tax that is due on your estate upon your death if the value of your net estate (your estate after deduction of liabilities such as your debts, funeral costs etc.) exceeds the Inheritance Tax threshold.
If your net estate exceeds the Inheritance Tax threshold, the part of your net estate over the threshold will be liable to Inheritance Tax at a rate of 40%*. Any gifts that you leave to charity in your Will are usually exempt from Inheritance Tax and, accordingly, they can reduce the amount of Inheritance Tax due on your estate.
In addition to this, any Estate which leaves at least 10% of its taxable wealth to charity will receive a reduced rate of inheritance tax, from 40% down to 36%.
Inheritance Tax can be complex, if you have any questions we recommend getting in touch with your financial advisor or your solicitor.
*Correct at time of writing.
Let us know if you’ve made a legacy gift
If you decide to include us in your Will, please let us know so that we can thank you and keep you up to date with how your support will leave a lasting legacy in North Devon. By letting us know, it helps us plan our work for the future.